Mars orbiter mission is the mission of Indian space research organisation to send the PSLV-C25 in the orbit of mars.Mars orbiter mission is also called in short form as MOM.
Mars orbiter mission of ISRO was planned to launch on 28 October 2013.
But due to bad weather at the launching site of Sriharikota ISRO Chairman K. Radhakrishnan postponed the launching date to 5th of November 2013 at 3:35 pm.
The mars orbiter mission is carried out by the PSLV-C25. PSLV-C25, where PSLV is the polar satellite launching vehicle and the C25 is the rocket which is selected.
Mars orbiter mission is launched out by the lots of best wishes from all over the India. If Mars orbiter mission will be successful than ISRO will be the fourth space organization in the world to reach the orbit of Mars.
ISRO will stand after the Soviet space program, NASA the European Space Agency. PSLV-C25 now in the heliocentric phase after the geocentric phase on 1st of December 2013.PSLV-C25 now successfully enters the mars trajectory on 11th of December 2013.Mars orbiter mission going on successfully.
Read More: How is Life of Astronauts in Space?
MARS ORBITER MISSION PROFILE:-
1.GEOCENTRIC PHASE: From 5/11/2013 to 30/11/2013 which was successfully completed.
2.HALIEOCENTRIC PHASE: From 1/12/2013 to -/09/2014 which is successfully completed.
3. AEROCENTRIC PHASE: On 24/09/2014 completed.
TRANS-MARS INJECTION is a propulsive maneuver used to set a spacecraft on a trajectory, also known as Mars transfer trajectory, which will cause it to arrive at MARS. trajectory design of the TMI is following shown in the image from ISRO:-
MARS ORBITER MISSION PAYLOAD
The mars orbiter mission consists of PSLV-C25 which consist of payloads.
Payload consists 5 instruments of 15 kg or 33 lbs (pounds) so the details of the payloads are following:-
1. FOR THE ATMOSPHERIC STUDIES: PSLV-C25 has Lyman alpha photometer (for studying the presence of deuterium and hydrogen in the upper atmosphere using the Lyman alpha emission), Methane sensor for Mars (studying the presence of methane in the Martian atmosphere).
2.FOR THE PARTICLE ENVIRONMENT STUDIES
PSLV-C25 has Mars exospheric neutral composition analyzer(for analyzing the neutral particle content in the atmosphere).This also called as MENCA.
Must Read: Aerospace New Inventions 2015
3. SURFACE IMAGING STUDIES: PSLV-C25 has a thermal infrared imaging spectrometer, which will be used to measure the temperature and emissivity of the Martian surface, Marthe Mars color camera which will provide images in visual spectrum.
OBJECTIVE OF MOM (Mars Orbiter mission):
Objective of the Mars orbiter mission is :-
The primary objective of the Mars Orbiter Mission is to showcase India’s rocket launch systems, spacecraft-building and operations capabilities.Specifically, the primary objective is to develop the technologies required for design, planning, management and operations of an interplanetary mission, comprising the following major tasks:
- 1.Design and realization of a Mars orbiter with a capability to perform Earth-bound manoeuvres, cruise phase of 300 days, Mars orbit insertion / capture, and on-orbit phase around Mars;
- 2.Deep-space communication, navigation, mission planning and management;
- 3. Incorporate autonomous features to handle contingency situations.
The secondary objective is to explore Mars’ surface features, morphology, mineralogy and martian atmosphere using indigenous scientific instruments.